Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Freehand Sketching Book Review


One of the books that I have recently found very usefull and would highly recomnend to anyone interested in learning freehand pen and ink drawing. The book is Freehand Sketching: An Introduction by Paul Lasaeu. He has a very good step by step approach.

I did some of the exercises in his book and tried soem of them in my small sketch book to see if I could mimic his style a little.


This is one of the first, using a still life arangement. I copied this from his book.

















Next he did a simple landskape example step by step and this is my mini attempt at that exercise.

















Those were followed by a slightly more complex landscape in the same fashion.













These are some of my own attempts with a little bit of color added.
















A house I have always thought would be great...Overlooking the ocean with a wrap around porch.

I am amazed at how well this little Strathmore sketch book holds up to watercolor - maybe I have figured out the right amount of water to use and have become a bit more patient.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful Zeke. Please do more!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Nice work....keep it up!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

These are wonderful - the top two are my favourites. Are you sure you need any help with drawing??? You seem to be doing pretty well from what I can see!